The Beginning

First Touch '98 Empire Cup Champions

Inaugural First Touch Futbol Academy Team Wins 2009 Empire Cup!

The First Touch Futbol Academy (FTFA) put out it's inaugural team to compete in the 2009 CDYSL Empire Cup. The team, First Touch '98, was comprised of rising U12 players from the Saratoga, Ballston Spa, and Clifton Park regions. The CDYSL Empire Cup is a tournament hosted by the Capital District Youth Soccer League (CDYSL) that invites premier, select, and ODP teams to compete.

In their 1st match, FT98 would face the Alleycats Crush and go on to win 4-2. Goals were scored by Griffen MacWatters, Stephen Klimek (2), and Connor Fenoff.

In their 2nd match, FT98 would face the Black Watch Academicals and go on to win 4-1. Goals were scored by Christopher Jupin and Griffen MacWatters (2).

The next day, FT98 would play their last remaining preliminary match against FC Somers. FT98 would draw the match 2-2 with both goals scored by Christopher Jupin. Drawing this match still left FT98 as the #1 seed in the semi-finals where they would go on to play the Alleycat Crush.

In the semi-final match, FT98 would match the result they had posted the day before and win 4-2. Goals were scored by Colby Obrecht and Ian Starnes. Winning this match would send FT98 into the finals against the Black Watch Academicals, who beat FC Somers in the other semi-final match 3-2.

In the finals, FT98 would go up quickly on a goal from Stephen Klimek. Klimek would add another tally later in the 1st half on a beautiful scissor move and magnificent finish to send FT98 into halftime with a 2-0 lead. Black Watch would come out strong and tie the match 2-2 with one minute remaining in the game.

After 2 five minute overtime periods, the Tournament Championship would be decided by a penalty shootout.

Griffen MacWatters would step up 1st for FT98 and tuck the ball into the right side netting with ease. FT98 Goalkeeper Luis Rockwood would come up big making a save on the first BW kicker. Thomas Preece took the second FT98 penalty putting it away to the goalkeeper's right to give FT98 the 2-0 lead. Rockwood would come up huge again making another save on a BW kick. Colby Obrecht would then step up and put away the third kick for FT98 to give them the 3-0 lead. Rockwood was inches away from making his 3rd save of the penalty shootout but the ball just got past his outstretched right hand. Jake Milstein would step and and convert his penalty kick with a powerful shot to the goalkeeper's right to win the Empire Cup U11 8v8 Division Championship.